- 1 Quiz
- 1 Survey
- 1 Multimedia
- 4 PDFs
- 2.0 hrs
Want Unlimited Access To All Our Course? Subscribe Now!
Blood transfusion is a complex procedure inter-linking many multidisciplinary health care team members.
Blood transfusions save lives and improve health. An error in transfusion can be fatal. Transfusion error, where the patient receiving the incorrect blood component, remains the largest risk related to blood transfusions. Nurses, who are responsible for the bedside check before a transfusion is given, have the final opportunity to prevent a mismatch.
An understanding of blood products, possible transfusion reactions, management and evidence based monitoring of transfusions are also essential to safely perform this procedure.
This systematic online interactive course helps to improve the knowledge of health professionals regarding blood transfusions so that they can perform safe transfusions and maintain good quality care.
- Identify purpose, indications and risks factors for blood transfusion
- Understand blood products such as whole blood, RBCs, platelets, clotting factors, plasma, packed red cells, cryoprecipitate, serum albumin and sources
- Explain haemodilution
- Recognise various blood types and ABO system
- Describe testing after donation
- Demonstrate steps in blood administration
- Explain storage of blood
- Memorise 30 minutes and 4 hour rules
- Identify transfusion reaction
- Determine current evidence based practice
For more information about Continuing Nursing Education Points, please click to view this fact sheet by the Nursing and Midwifery Board of Australia
2 Hours (Self-Paced)